250g ( ½ lb) courgettes
100g (3 oz) carrot
½ sweet pepper
1 Tbsp cider vinegar
4 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp French mustard
½ tsp runny honey (or you can use mayonnaise)
1. Grate courgettes and carrots into large bowl
2. Finely slice onion and sweet pepper
3. Mix all together with chosen dressing
This salad allows for fun with colour schemes, eg use all yellow courgettes and peppers, or all green or use as many colours as possible. French dressing allows the colours to shine out
240g (8 oz) courgette
100g (4 oz) gram or ordinary flour (or s. r. but miss out baking powder)
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp chilli, 1 tsp coriander, 1 tsp cumin, ½ tsp turmeric (or 3 tsp curry powder)
½ tsp salt
1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh coriander
1 clove garlic
½ thumb-sized piece ginger
Plenty of veg oil for frying
1. Grate the courgette and pat dry with a clean tea-towel.
2. Place the flour in a mixing bowl & add the baking powder & salt
3. Grind the spices with the garlic & ginger & add to bowl
4. Slice the onion & add to bowl.
5. Add the grated courgette and mix everything thoroughly.
6. Allow moisture to come out of the courgettes and bind everything together. If you feel the need add a few teaspoons of water but do not allow mix to become sloppy.
7. Put pan of oil (no more than 1/3 full) on to heat until a bit of flour-coated veg cooks in about 30 seconds (ie not too hot)
8. Meanwhile take dessert spoonfuls of mix and form into balls about golf-ball size. (If you like them larger cook them longer and slower)
9. Fry until golden and drain on kitchen paper. Serve with a raita. (Thin yogurt with chopped cucumber, mint or fresh coriander)