250g (8 oz) brussel sprouts
35g (1 oz) butter
35g (1 oz) plain flour
300ml (10 fl oz) milk
½ leek or ¼ onion finely sliced and chopped
2 large eggs, separated.
1 oz grated cheese
Salt & pepper
- Before you start, grease a soufflé dish and heat your oven to gas 5 (200o)
- Cut the sprouts in half to cook quicker and boil in just enough water to cover until soft. Drain, keeping the cooking water. Mash the sprouts well and set aside
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the onion or leek to soften (about 5 minutes)
- Take off the heat and add the flour, stirring then add the milk.
- Return to a moderate heat & stir continuously until thickened. Add some of the cooking water to make a sauce like custard.
- Take off the heat and stir in the mashed sprouts and the egg yolks
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff and fold into the sauce and season
- Pour into the soufflé dish, sprinkle on the cheese and bake for 25-35 minutes.
- Serve with potatoes and green salad.