Here are a few alternatives:
- Add slices to a peanut butter or cheese sandwich for extra crunch and goodness.
- Place in a brown paper bag with unripe bananas, avocados or tomatoes to help them ripen or simply leave them together in a fruit bowl.
- For a quick way to brighten up your face, grate a peeled and cored apple and apply to the skin; relax for 15 minutes, then rinse off with warm water.
- Store cakes with half an apple in an airtight container. The moisture of the apple keeps the cake fresh for longer.
- Make apple candle holders by putting tea lights into the hollowed out core.
- When brown sugar has turned into a hard brick, place a slice of apple in with the sugar, seal and it will be soft again in a few days as the sugar absorbs the moisture of the fruit.
- If a soup, casserole or sauce is too salty, add a few slices of apple, stir and leave for a few minutes. Remove before serving - the apple slices will absorb the excess salt.