OR 1.25 kg mixed berries and currants of your choice
175g golden caster sugar
7 slices bread (normally white but can use wholemeal too).
- Wash fruit.
- Put sugar and 3 tbsp water into a large pan. Gently heat until sugar dissolves – stir a few times. Bring to a boil for 1 min, then tip in the fruit (not the strawberries).
- Cook for 3 mins over a low heat, stirring occasionally. The fruit will be softened, mostly intact and surrounded by dark red juice. Put a sieve over a bowl and drain the juice into a bowl.
- Cut the crusts off the bread.
- Before lining the 1.25 litre bowl with the bread dip each slice into the juice of the fruit. Overlap the slices of bread ensuring there are no gaps.
- Now spoon in the softened fruit with the strawberries into the lined bowl.
- Once the bowl is full. Dip the remaining bread into the juice and lay on top. Cut to shape if necessary. Put a small plate on top and weight down with cans. Chill for 6 hours or overnight.
- To serve, place a serving plate upside-down on top and flip over. Serve with cream or ice cream.
Recipe provided by Julie