1lb (450g) redcurrants, stripped from stalks
6 fresh lavender heads (optional)
Approx. 6oz (175g) sugar
- Gently cook the fruit in 5floz (150ml) water for 10 mins.
- Crush with a potato masher or fork and cook for a further 20 mins until very soft.
- Remove from heat, add the lavender heads and leave to stand for 1 hour to infuse.
- Strain the fruit using a fine sieve or muslin over a jug for about 1 hours until all the juice is extracted.
- Add 6oz (175g) sugar per 10floz (150ml) juice. Heat gently till sugar dissolves then simmer for 5 mins till syrupy.
- Pour into a clean, dry bottle when cool.
- Store in fridge or freeze in an ice cube tray to use as required.
- Dilute to taste with still or sparkling water or dry sparkling wine for a special treat.