NIGELLA’S BLACKBERRY ICE CREAM
500 grams blackberries
75 grams caster sugar
30 ml water
300 ml whipping cream
1. Put fruit in a pan with water & sugar.
2. Cover & simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Tip into a sieve over a bowl (plastic is best) and push through with a wooden spoon. Chill.
4. Whip the cream until thick but still soft - it should fall from a spoon.
5. Add the fruit puree, mix well & freeze for 2 hours.
6. Mash with a fork or process it. Return to freezer.
7. Repeat mashing after 2 more hours. Ready after a further 2 hours in the freezer. Serve with extra blackberries and crisp ginger snaps.
Blackberries are also nice when used to top a basic sponge cake mix then sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon before baking.