200g (7oz) beetroot, cooked, peeled and chopped
200g (7oz) dark chocolate
200g (7oz) butter or soft margarine
200g (7oz) caster sugar
125g (4oz) self-raising flour
2 large eggs
80g (3oz) broken walnuts (optional)
Prepare a rectangular tin about 20 x 30 cm or equivalent (eg 3 loaf tins) - grease and line with greaseproof paper.
Heat oven to gas mark 3, 150˚C
- Melt the chocolate and butter together in a medium bowl either in a microwave on defrost (about 15 mins) or over a pan of simmering water. Stir a few times until smooth.
- Whisk together the eggs and sugar in a large bowl until frothy.
- Add the beetroot and mash in well or combine in a food processor.
- Fold in the chocolate/butter max and nuts (if used)..
- Pour the mixture into the lined tin(s) and bake for approx 25 mins until risen but still squidgy in the middle. It will sink again on cooling but over-baking will make the brownies too dry.
- Allow to cool a little and cut into squares.
- You can serve this warm as a dessert with cream or leave it to cool completely.