RHUBARB AND ORANGE MERINGUE (serves 4-6)
1 orange – grated zest and juice
2 egg yolks
2 egg whites
3oz/75g caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 325°F, 160°C,Gas Mark 3.
- Cut rhubarb into chunks, place in a shallow baking dish and sprinkle with orange zest.
- Make up the orange juice to 1/4pt (120ml) with water.
- Place sugar and cornflour in a saucepan and gradually blend in orange juice/water. Simmer for 3 mins, stirring. Cool slightly.
- Add egg yolks to orange sauce, pour over rhubarb and bake for 20 mins.
- Turn the oven down to 300°F, 140°C, Gas Mark 2.
- Whisk the egg whites to stiff peak. Whisk in half the caster sugar, then gently fold in the rest. Spread over the rhubarb.
- Bake for 20-25 mins until golden.
Energy Saving Tip: Plan, if you can, to cook 2 dishes in the oven at the same time.