About 2 pints (1 litre) boiling water
12oz (375g) sugar
Juice of 1 lemon
- Rinse and trim the flowers from their stems. (The quantity required - when pressed lightly into a measuring jug, the flowers would approximately reach the 2pints/1 litre mark)
- Pour on the boiling water, cover the jug and leave overnight.
- Strain and discard the flowers. Boil the liquid to reduce to about ¾ pint (750ml).
- Add sugar and heat gently to dissolve.
- Add lemon juice (use more if you prefer a sharp taste).
- Pour into a bottle that has been rinsed with boiling water to sterilise.
Jill Burn, May 2013