Leek and Cheese Welsh Cakes - Makes 12
1/2 tsp salt
100g butter or margarine
100g finely sliced leeks
50g grated Cheddar or Caerphilly cheese
1 egg, beaten
1 tbsp milk, plus a bit extra if needed
- Gently cook the leeks in a little butter or olive oil to soften.
- Sift the flour and salt. Lightly rub in the cubed butter or margarine until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the softened leeks and the cheese.
- Mix in the egg and bring the mixture together with a fork to form a soft dough, adding as much milk as you need to do so.
- Turn onto a floured surface and roll out to about 6mm thick. Using a round cutter or upturned glass, cut out 6–7cm circles.
- Heat an ungreased heavy-based griddle or frying pan over a medium heat. Cook the “cakes” for about 3 minutes on each side until lightly browned.
- Transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool.
- Serve as they are, with butter or soft cheese or with any topping of your liking (how about Marmite or smoked salmon?).
Mini Welsh cakes could also be topped and served as canapés.
Irish Potato Cake or Boxty
1 cup leftover mashed potatoes
1 cup plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup (about) milk to mix
Butter or oil for frying
- Wrap the grated raw potatoes in a clean cloth and squeeze to remove excess moisture.
- Sift together the flour, salt, and baking powder. Mix the flour mixture with the raw grated potatoes, mashed potatoes, and eggs. Add enough milk to make a batter.
- Heat a heavy-based fryimg pan or griddle over medium heat with a little butter or oil. Drop tablespoonfuls of potato batter into the hot pan.
- Brown on both sides (about 4 minutes per side). Serve hot with sugar or as a savoury dish with bacon .
SIMPLE POTATO CAKE
I tablespoon butter, melted
60g plain flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
A little milk
- Sieve the flour, salt and baking powder into a bowl.
- Add mashed potatoes and melted butter.
- Mix into a smooth dough, adding a little milk if necessary.
- Turn on to a floured board and knead until smooth. Divide in two.
- Roll out each piece to a circle 1/4" thick. Cut into 6 or 8 triangles.
- Cook on a hot greased heavy frying pan until golden brown then turn to brown the other side.