The most obvious use of bits of, for instance cooked carrot, broccolli & cabbage is to make soup.
- Soften ½ an onion a minute or 2 in a scraping of butter or oil, add the chopped veg and stir around. After a few seconds pour in hot stock (leftover gravy can be incorporated) and simmer about 10 mins.
- Adjust flavour by adding a little vinegar or lemon juice, salt and sugar/honey. You can leave chunky or puree.
- Leftover rice, chopped pasta or potato can also be added. And a squirt of tomato sauce.
Leftover veggies roughly chopped. (About half a cup per serving)
An egg for each serving, beaten with a Tbsp water or milk
A bit of onion, chopped
A bit of sweet pepper, sliced or chopped
1 Tbsp veg oil
A scrap of bacon or salami (optional)
Pinch of mixed herbs
- Soften the onion and bacon (if used) in the oil
- Add the sweet pepper & cooked veggies. Cook gently a few minutes.
- Pour on the beaten egg and allow to almost set. Sprinkle with herbs & seasoning.
- At this point you can add some grated cheese and place the whole pan under the grill just to melt it. If it’s a large one cut into wedges to serve.
3. Stir fried noodles
Big cupful of any leftover veggies sliced up fairly small. Even leftover salad can go into this including cucumber and lettuce.
Leftover shredded chicken or ham (optional)
1 pkt instant noodles (serves 1 hungry person or 2 for a light meal )
1 small onion, sliced
1 fat garlic clove, crushed/chopped
½ inch fresh ginger, peeled & sliced into little match sticks
½ T plain veg oil
½ T sesame oil
- Place the noodles in a flat-bottomed dish and retrieve the sachet of flavouring. Pour boiling water onto the noodles to cover.
- Place the plain veg oil in wok or frying pan & fry the onion, ginger & garlic on medium heat.
- Add the cooked veggies and meat (if using) sprinkle on the contents of the flavour sachet and stir fry.
- Drain the noodles and add to pan and sprinkle on the sesame oil & toss